Monday, November 9, 2015

Back on the elimination diet... Hooray!




It is me again... Who else would it be?!

Once again, I started the elimination diet. Took me a couple of days fumbling around with food to get myself there, but I did it! Hooray!

I reminded myself the purpose of what I'm doing. Truly, that is what worked for me to get back on the horse (so to speak... I'm highly allergic to horses!!).

I did have any desire to not be able to eat other foods. That thought kept me from wanting to take the steps necessary to take this venture on in full force. I'm keeping in mind that I will be traveling to CA to visit friends and family soon. I began to think that I should wait until I returned to start. However, for the short time I did it last month, I felt incredibly better! I decided that even if I do not get off the elimination diet as well as I should, that it was wiser to start now. I'll be eating out a great deal while gone for those 9 days... and then there is the holiday to consider!

When I return, I'll probably need to get back on this path, but it won't be as long since my frame of mind is where I need it to be. Plus, I won't go crazy while on vacation and eating out all over southern CA. Taking steps now to do what I know is best for my body helps remind me that foods I've been eating have had a negative impact on how I feel. Are they allergies? Intolerances? Sensitivities? Give it a name... doesn't really matter. Result is the same.

When I eat certain foods (not sure what yet... I'm working on that!), I feel one or more of the following ways:


  • Lethargic
  • Exhausted to the point where I have to sleep
  • Grouchy / irritable
  • Moody
  • Itchy
  • Unclear thinking 
  • React instead of respond

Things like that and more. You might be thinking... what does reacting instead of responding have to do with food issues? Well, it CAN have a major impact on all that goes on in your body.

I'm in a few Facebook groups. The vast majority of adults discussing their allergies also discuss other medical problems. I believe they are related. Do I have proof? Scientific evidence? No. It is my gut feeling considering all that I've been learning about having ADHD. I know that a person with ADHD that has food issues (allergies, sensitivities, etc) have a much harder time (ADHD is amplified) while eating those foods. Since the reaction isn't a "stereotypical" allergic reaction, they don't know the food is a contributing factor. They think an allergy only means that you break out in hives and might need to see a doctor.

As much as I want to be annoyed with the fact I'll be eliminating for foods from my daily life... I can't be. I'm incredibly grateful to learn that I have control of what is going on with me. I know that by eating whatever I feel like eating, that the way I act and/or feel will be undesirable. Thank goodness I have a chance to change that... as annoying as it may appear some moments in time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment