Monday, October 26, 2015

Elimination Diet... Peace of Mind

I started my elimination diet again last week at some point (odd I have no recollection of what day I started!). Been feeling amazing! It is easier to not worry about when I will finish and introduce other foods this time around (I completed 2 weeks last time).

What I remind myself each day is the level of gratitude I have for feeling better not eating certain foods. I have no idea which foods are causing me grief, but there isn't a doubt that something doesn't agree with me now that I have greater energy, clearer thoughts, no digestive issues, and the like.

May not be an allergy. It could possibly be an intolerance. Either way the result will be the same... elimination of the food from my diet. No sense in not feeling 100% over food. I think I've come to peace with the fact that I can't eat whatever I want, whenever I want.

I'm sure that most people would have assumed that I should have already come to peace with that fact. Unfortunately, I've struggled with it ever since I found out about my allergies. Here it is about 15 years later, and now is when my brain has cut me some slack. LOL

I read posts from 1000s of others about how strict they are with the food they eat, and don't falter. I was envious. Other than tree nuts (there are a few I cannot eat and my reaction necessitates Epi and ER), I have not always been as careful when eating out. It became a chore. Eating out is usually a social event and all the stress of worry if I could eat there wasn't worth it to me at times.

After working at a restaurant for the past 3 years, I know that every time I eat out, it is a gamble. That thought is less than exciting to say the least. The past couple of months, I've eaten out a couple of times. Sushi (I know what to stay away from, but still had minor reaction), one place where all I ate was a cucumber and onion salad... and a local mexican restaurant. I found out the hard way what not to eat there!

I keep a busy lifestyle. Losing convenience of eating out or packaged food has been depressing and frustrating at times. Now, I don't care as much. I nibble on what makes me happy (avocados, variety of lettuce, tomatoes, pears...)

Too bad I couldn't talk my brain into learning this lesson 15 years ago. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment